Tuesday, September 7, 2010

i had crazy instructions

Okay so my IKEA instructions were pretty useful. I mean I haven't fallen through so far, so I'm gonna say it was a success. However when I decided to share my IKEA bed frame instructions with the group, I learned some very misleading things. Un-knowingly I had provided ample entertainment for the group. Basically the instructions consisted of pictures and the most amusing part was the first page:
Funny pictures really, but the best part was the second picture which somehow is supposed to tell you that you shouldn't build the bed on the floor but instead on carpet. Question: Does a picture of a carpet merely need a few short lines attached to a square to constitute a carpet? Answer: Depends on your artistic visual capability. 

You know how in therapy sessions, the therapist shows you inkblots and then each person will probably see something different? Yah, that's this IKEA stuff. When you use pictures there is going to always be some controversy. People see the world differently in all aspects. Some see what they want to see and others see what they think should be there. Instructions have to become general because of this indiscrepancy. They have to encompass a great group of people and ultimately show a person exactly what needs to be done.

Good thing I'm using photos for my instructions....

Leaving no room for interpretation,

yours truly

4 comments:

  1. I love how you compare the Ikea drawings to the Rorschach inkblot tests because that's exactly what we are studying in my psychology class, good analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had very bad experiences with Ikea instructions! You would think putting thier furniture together would be pretty self explainatory, but somehow I ended up putting a chair together backward.. I blame their instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture with the piece of furniture on the carpet is understandable. Most objects slide on floors such as granite, hardwood, or linoleum. If you have ever slipped while wearing socks across these floors than you would most likely know that other objects would slide and that the carpet would keep in place and also would keep you from scratching the floor in the process

    ReplyDelete
  4. The picture is very self explanatory I think, im a guy so when we finally result to reading the directions we want to look at the pictures and not text.

    ReplyDelete